Do you constantly feel stuck? EMDR therapy may be able to help you. EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization & Reprocessing) is a highly researched and widely known treatment modality that had its beginnings as a treatment specifically for PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder). Due to the high level of success obtained from using this form of treatment, it is now used all over the world by professional therapists to treat anxiety, shame, self-doubt, etc. as well as trauma. The main focus of the EMDR Therapy model is to help you eliminate persistent negative thoughts and beliefs in your mind. Thus it makes you into the best version of yourself in a shorter period.
I have years of experience as an EMDR therapist in Tennessee, and have seen EMDR treatment help hundreds of my patients under my direction.
How EMDR Therapy works
As a human being, when you feel overwhelmed by a situation or upset, your brain becomes unable to process information in the same way it does when you are calm. This is because disturbing experiences become trapped in the brain, causing you to relive the same images, emotions, etc. over and over at the slightest stimulus. EMDR therapist works by helping to teach your brain positive thinking patterns, and it also controls the way you react to different situations. After a series of sessions using this form, you may be able to feel fewer or no symptoms and reduce emotional and physical stress.
The advantage of EMDR Therapy over other forms of psychotherapy is that it works faster to solve deep-rooted problems and is also said to be twice as effective as some other standard modalities.
Here are answers to questions you may have about EMDR Therapy.
How is EMDR Therapy different from hypnosis?
EMDR Therapy differs from hypnosis because, during EMDR Therapy sessions, you are very active and alert. Sessions focus on helping you shed light on past experiences that may still have significant impacts on you and allow you to resolve them. At this time you will make a plan to deal with similar situations in the future.
Is EMDR therapy suitable for me?
At Design For Better Living Therapy, we will take the time to assess your state of mind at initial counseling sessions to determine if EMDR Therapy is beneficial. However, if you have persistent PTSD, anxiety, or low self-esteem, EMDR Therapy may be advised.
If you have any other questions or concerns about EMDR Therapy, please contact us. We look forward to hear from you.
What you need to know before trying EMDR Therapy
While EMDR therapist experts generally recognize EMDR Therapy as a safe and effective approach with few unwanted effects, you will likely experience some side effects, including:
- Realistic dreams
- Increased sensitivity to physical sensations or emotions
- EMDR Therapy can also take several sessions to work, although you may notice some improvement after the first session.
You may find that the beginning of treatment brings some emotional distress and discomfort, especially if you are just beginning to deal with traumatic events.
But because EMDR Therapy doesn’t require you to talk about the trauma at length or spend a lot of time thinking about it, it may feel less stressful than other methods used to treat trauma.
If you feel distressed during treatment, your therapist will help you return to the present before moving on to another painful memory. Remember, too, that you will also learn relaxation and mindfulness strategies before you begin, and these techniques can help you manage those unwanted feelings.
- Eye Movement Desensitizing and Reprocessing Therapy treatment is short-term, effective, and can be done in person or at home through online therapy.
- The eight stages of EMDR therapy are a map that the EMDR therapist follows to provide a framework for understanding the treatment process.
- EMDR therapy is an effective way to get over your past and serves as a treatment option for those suffering from anxiety, panic, post-traumatic stress disorder, or trauma.
- EMDR Therapy is often used to treat anxiety disorders as more and more clinicians & patients begin to understand the benefits of treatment.
- Identifying strong & negative thoughts or beliefs is a key benefit of EMDR Therapy, making EMDR a strong treatment for depression & major depressive disorders.
- Both employees & executives often work at below their potential because of past trauma caused by a history of criticism, mistakes , self-questioning or relational abuse. EMDR Therapy can help.
- EMDR Therapy is an effective treatment for helping those with low self esteem. It can define if your feelings are the result of abuse as a child or if something more recent is impacting your self esteem.
- Sexual dysfunction often ties back to deep-rooted psychological causes; EMDR Therapy helps the patient (and therapist) get to the root cause and have a chance to "reprocess" the info for a better result without dysfunction.
I am a Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC) & Mental Health Service Provider (MHSP) in Tennessee
I am a firm believer in the effectiveness of EMDR Therapy and have seen the treatment help my patients time and time again. With over 15 years of experience in traditional personal & family therapy & counseling in my background, I find as an EMDR therapist in Tennessee that the treatment works faster to highlight and address deep-rooted problems than traditional treatment modalities. Most of my patients end up working with me through traditional therapy and counseling while also undergoing EMDR therapy under my direction.
Steven Lepley LPC, MHSP
Licensed in Tennessee
I am a Licensed Professional Counselor, Mental Health Services Provider & EMDR Therapist offering virtual telemedicine appointments throughout all of Tennessee.
Ask me about my experience & how I can help you address the challenges you are facing. Call me or text me at 615.330.2659.